Cost to Refinish Your Hardwood Floors
Whether you’re moving into a fixer-upper or just looking to spruce up your existing space, refinishing hardwood floors can add warmth and beauty to almost any home.
The cost to refinish hardwood floors depends on where you live, the type of wood, how large an area you’re planning to refinish and the condition of your floors.
If you decide to hire a professional to refinish your wood floors, you’ll want to start by asking friends and neighbors for recommendations and then do some comparison shopping. Ask potential hires:
- How much experience do you have?
- Who will do the actual work? The business owner may be a salesman but not a wood floor refinisher. Determine the competency of the individuals who will be doing the work — and ask who will be supervising them.
- Can you provide references? Not only do you want to talk to those references, you should take the time to visit businesses or residences where the contractor has done work. Be wary of contractors who won’t put you in touch with past clients.
- Who is responsible for moving heavy furniture and appliances? How will you protect built-in cabinetry and shelving?
- Who is responsible for cleanup and debris removal at the completion of the project?
- How will you protect the rest of my home from dust?
- What are the conditions of payment and to what extent do you guarantee your work?
Costs for this job will vary greatly, depending on material costs, delivery costs, disposal fees and labor costs. The average professionally completed refinishing job costs $1.50 to $8.00 per square foot.
Not only does a professionally refinished wood floor have aesthetic appeal, it also increases the resale value of a home. Potential buyers who walk into a home and see old, worn-out floors are likely to wonder what else is wrong with the house and offer a low amount of money if they even make an offer at all. Refinishing wood floors is an investment not only for the current homeowner to enjoy, but it can also pay off when trying to sell the home in the future.